An amazing ketogenic substitution for an Italian favorite. So garlicky, so cheesy, and so filling! Have your pie and keto, too!
- 3 c almond flour
- 6 Tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 10 Tbsp butter
- 2 eggs whites
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- 2 oz onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz whole fat ricotta cheese
- 8 oz freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Dice butter and place in freezer about 5 minutes.
- Add almond flour, psyllium husk powder, and salt into a stand mixer and mix to combine.
- Add butter and mix until butter pieced become no bigger than pea size.
- Add egg whites and mix until dough comes together.
- Pour out onto countertop, divide dough in half, and shape into discs.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour (over night is best).
- Preheat oven to 350F and add large baking sheet to middle rack.
- Thaw frozen spinach in a pot of boiling water. Drain well by pressing spinach into a strainer.
- Add butter and olive oil to a large pan and sauté onions over medium heat until translucent (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add spinach to pan and cook to remove more water (approximately 5 more minutes).
- Add garlic and cook until garlic becomes fragrant (less than 1 minute). Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine cheeses in a large mixing bowl.
- Add spinach mixture and eggs. Using an electric mixer, mix until completely combined.
- Roll out each dough disc between two pieces of wax paper.
- Place rolled out dough in freezer for 5 minutes.
- Take one dough and remove one side of wax paper. Flip over onto pie plate and remove the other wax paper. Press dough against pie plate.
- Fill pie with spinach cheese filling.
- Take second dough and remove one side of wax paper. Flip over onto pie plate with filling and remove second piece of wax paper.
- Trim and crimp edges of dough to seal pie. Cut 3-5 large slits into top crust for air vents. Use remaining dough from trimming the edges to make decorations using cookie cutters if you want to add some flair.
- Place pie onto heated baking sheet and bake at 350F for 1 hour.
Nutritional Information (1/12 pie)