With a punch of flavor, a kick of spice, and just a little over 4 net carbs, there’s nothing wimpy about these Beef Cakes.
- 1/2 lb 85/15 ground beef
- 3.5 ounces poblano pepper, diced
- 1.5 ounces yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2c grated pepper jack
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 c water
- 1 1/2c shredded mozzarella
- 1 1/2c shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 1/2c almond flour
- 1/4c cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 egg wash (1 egg plus 1 tbsp water, whisked)
Optional Beef Cake Sauce :
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp ranch dressing
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- Sauté onion in olive oil for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add pepper to onion and continue to cook until pepper is just cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until garlic becomes fragrant, less than 1 minute, and remove vegetables to small bowl.
- Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, parsley, salt, and black pepper to pan and cook until beef is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add tomato paste and water to beef and mix until combined.
- Add vegetables back into pan with beef and stir.
- Simmer until most of the liquid evaporates (a few minutes) then set aside in a small bowl and chill in the refrigerator.
- Once cooled, mix in pepper jack cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large pan, combine mozzarella, Mexican cheese, cream cheese, and almond flour over medium heat.
- Stir mixture frequently until cheeses are melted and the mixture comes together.
- Transfer mixture into a large mixing bowl. The mixture should be cool enough to handle, but warm enough to be pliable.
- Add eggs and onion powder and mix dough by hand until all ingredients are just combined.
- Separate dough into 8 even flattened patties and place onto non stick baking sheets.
- Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of beef mixture onto each dough patty and fold in half, pushing down and shaping into half circle. (Only half of the mixture will be used. Save the remainder for other recipes, such as topping a salad.)
- Crimp edges of folded dough using a fork or preferred utensil.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until crust is golden.
- Optional: combine ‘Beef Cake Sauce’ ingredients in a mixing bowl and serve for dipping.
Nutritional Information (1 Beef Cake)
Nutritional Information (1 Tbsp Beef Cake Sauce)
Nutritional Information (Beef Filling Mixture, half recipe)
Recipe inspired by The Pioneer Woman’s ‘Meat Pies’ and Fathead dough.